The Susa Valley was the subject of in-depth study by the Borgo’s creators because of its constant circulation of materials and building techniques throughout the Middle Ages. The encounter between brickwork, typical of the plain, and wooden materials used in the upper valley is evidenced by this building, which is inspired by another, still existing edifice – the Casa Aschieri in Bussoleno.
Along the main street, the portico, set on solid stone columns, is a fine piece of carpentry. The side facing the small square forms an entrance to the house: the masonry staircase leads to the upper floor, and the two entrances below lead to the cellar and the pigsty. Above the two decorated windows, whose tympanum bears the coat of arms of the Aschieri family, is the festive Danza dei Folli (Dance of the Fools), copied from the façade of a tavern in Lagnasco, in the province of Cuneo, which collapsed shortly after the Borgo was built.
In 1884, the ground floor of the house was occupied by a ceramic workshop, which also used the adjoining room in the Frossasco house as a warehouse, and whose products were fired in the kiln inside the Torre d’Alba. In 1894, the blacksmith, with his workshop in the Albergo dei Pellegrini, set up shop here, also occupying the rooms on the first floor and those in the adjoining house. In the 1930s, the ground floor and basement housed a glass workshop; in the 1960s, the wrought iron workshop was joined by a wood and marquetry workshop. Today the first floor is home to the blacksmith, who has his premises on the ground floor and in rooms located beyond the large door behind the Salbertrand fountain.